The Tipping Point

Things are moving along at a rapid pace, it’s really sinking in now: in one week, I’m going to be on the road. I think everyone must have experienced this phenomenon at some point in their lives. You logically know the event is coming, but then one day suddenly you feel it and it becomes real.  It feels good though, because I’ve been getting a lot done.  It’s all downhill from here.

Wednesday the plumbing vents got changed out, although I had little to do with it. Fellow Casita owners Martin and Catherine who live not far away stopped by bright and early in the morning, by 12:30 both vents were in place and just awaiting caulk. Thank you guys! The forecast was only calling for a 20% chance of rain, so of course it rained while I was trying to get the Proflex on. I used duct tape as a temporary measure, and between rain showers worked on caulking. They look pretty good!

Wednesday was also the turn around in the battle against the sugar ants. The stuff I’d sprayed around the outside of the RV last week was keeping new ones from getting in, but I clearly had some living inside the RV. The last time I put Terro bait in the RV it sat out for weeks and the ants would walk right past it without interest. But since I can’t use that spray inside around food I had to try something else to get the ones indoors, so thought it was worth a shot.

I put the traps right where the old ones were, and within 2 hours I had a ants at them, lots of ants. I guess maybe my last batch was bad. The rest of the day they marched in lines to and from the bait station. It was kind of gross seeing them swarming my kitchen area, but kind of fascinating as well. I found myself watching despite myself, amazed at their efficiency. Thursday I was gone most of the day so I don’t know what happened that day, but yesterday there were some dead ones around and no more coming to the bait station. Success. The bait stations will be out until I leave, just to catch any stragglers and in case more hatch from the nest and go looking for food.

Before you head out on your very first RVing trip, do a run through of your takeoff procedure in advance, you’ll be glad you did. I didn’t have any problems with the hitch itself yesterday, but getting the stabilizer jacks up was a pain. They had rusted in place in the 4 months I’ve been there, and it took some WD-40 and a lot of pulling to get them to loosen up. Now with proper lubrication they seem to be functioning fine.

After that was done, I spent around four hours calling RV insurance agents and discussing policies. Not the funnest way to spend the afternoon, but checking with multiple places is important if you want to ensure a good price and the right benefits to meet your needs. It’s not just about choosing the cheapest one you can find, find out from the agents what the coverage is, and write it all down so that you can compare several before making a decision. So which one did I end up going with? Blue Sky through PoliSeek, but I feel this topic probably deserves a post of it’s own so I’ll elaborate at a later date.

My last big project of the day yesterday was to run my 401K check to Wells Fargo, I now officially have a IRA plan, yay! After that was Girl’s Night, where Julie and I get together with a friend of ours and cook supper and then watch TV show episodes, it’s something we’ve been doing on Friday nights for quite some time. There is talk of trying to squeeze one more in next week on a Thursday, but we’ll have to see how things go.

And that’s where I stand. I looked at my To-Do list yesterday and was somewhat amazed to see that it no longer looked insurmountable. I have finally reached what I think of as the tipping point, where the hardest stuff is done and momentum is propelling me forward with less effort on my part. As I’ve said before, the trick to pulling off a big stunt like going full-timing is to break it down into little steps and do it one piece at a time. Try not to let it overwhelm you, and if you keep plugging away at it eventually it will all get done.

Today is my last day at work, which gives me from tomorrow until Friday to get the rest of it accomplished, I’m not foreseeing any big difficulties. In fact, in celebration of all my hard work paying off I’ll be taking Sunday off to go salt water kayaking with Julie and another friend of ours from Charleston, having that day truly off will be great since I haven’t had one of those in a while.

Well, there is work to be done in the two hours before I go to, uh, work, but a question before I go: have you ever experienced the tipping point phenomenon in your life?

, , , , ,

12 Responses to The Tipping Point

1. Dave September 9, 2012 at 11:25 am #

Good news that you fixed your leaky vent. I’m battling a gray water leak right now, these RVs do keep us busy. Tipping point: I guess for me a good example is when I built a little wooden sailboat. The project seemed to just soak up lots of hours and lots and lots of lumber, then when the day finally came to paint it, I felt like I was getting somewhere.
    Dave (builder/sailor of Puddle Duck Racer sailboat #287)

• Becky September 9, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

Yeah, I could see how building a sailboat from scratch would take a lot of time and effort, I bet you were proud when it was finished though! So it sounds like you race it? That would be neat to do. When I lived in Beaufort there was a club that raced sailboats, never did get a chance to go watch, I think you had to pay a fee to be a member.

Good luck with your gray water leak, if part of my plumbing system had to leak, I’m very glad that it was just the vents and not part that, uh, waste actually travels though. 😛 I probably should go knock on some wood now…

2. Ron September 9, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

Here’s a product to keep in mind for loosening rusted parts, bolts, etc.. It’s called PB Blaster which I got at Auto Zone. I had a very hard time trying to remove the plug form my water heater on the used Casita I recently purchased. I tried WD-40 and Liquid Wrench and still could not budge the plug. A friend who works on old cars, as a hobby, which have lots of rusted and corroded bolts and nuts and other parts told me about this product. I sprayed some on, let it set for a while and presto, the plug came loose. Perhaps it was a combination of all of the products I used. But, my friend swears by PB Blaster.

Good luck on your upcoming departure and safe travels to you.

• Becky September 9, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

Ooo, thanks Ron. I haven’t actually checked the anode rod on my water heater yet, it’s on the to do list. It looks quite corroded around that area and I’m thinking I’ll have a hard time removing it. Now I know what I can get to help if WD-40 doesn’t work, there actually is an Auto Zone pretty close by where I live right now. Thanks for the well wishes and safe travels and happy trails to you too.

3. LilNomad September 9, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

The Grants Kills Ants or the Raid bait is great. Its the one where they take the food back to their home and it kills the colony. Works in about 1-2 days and then they just all disappear. You can get them at Walmart, Home Depot etc.

• Becky September 9, 2012 at 9:07 pm #

Yeah, the Terro is the same kind of thing, in the time it takes to kill the worker ants, they have already taken it back to the colony for the rest. Seems to have been pretty effective this time around, don’t know why my first batch didn’t work. I think I just got a bad batch.

4. Ross Macintosh September 11, 2012 at 5:30 am #

Shiny new vent looks great! Must be satisfying to get that project checked off your list. What’s next on the list?

With the anode soon to be tackled it might not be a bad idea to give it a shot of the WD40 now. Let it work itself in for a few days.
    Ross Macintosh recently posted..Oh Shit…My Profile

• Becky September 11, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

The anode rod is tomorrow’s big project actually. Again I have someone coming over who knows what they’re doing (and has the right sized socket) to help. Also taking Bertha to get washed, and doing a few small things. Gotta print up directions and my insurance cards for instance.

5. Dillon March 27, 2013 at 10:06 pm #

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button!

I’d certainly donate to this outstanding blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to brand new updates and will share this site with my Facebook
    group. Chat soon!
    Dillon recently posted..DillonMy Profile

• Becky March 28, 2013 at 10:44 am #

Glad you like it Dillon, thanks for commenting!

6. Dirk Uys August 24, 2016 at 2:40 am #

Wow!! Hello Becky, I am a keen Caravanner (RVer) and came upon your site. Not only did I like the presentation but I hope I may say you, yourself, are very easy on the eye.
    Makes me want to go to the USA and try something like this Becky. As I am not a citizen though it would in all likelihood be allowed to stay for only a short while. So, at this moment in time I shall roll the idea around a little while. I live in Jeffreys Bay in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa and so intrigued by the way you live that it has set off a chain of emotions inside me. This must be the way to go. It was nice watching and I hope you the very best dear lady. May the sun be on your face and the wind upon your back. Regards, C Dirk Uys

• Becky August 24, 2016 at 1:31 pm #

Hello Dirk Uys and welcome to IO. I’m glad you’ve found my blog helpful and inspiring. Whether you end up traveling like I do someday or not, I hope you continue to listen to your heart and go where it guides you. There’s nothing as rewarding as living life on your own terms.

Safe travels and happy trails!