A Place For Everything

Well, everything is now officially out of the storage locker. A small pile of my things still sits at Julie’s apartment, but the past few days I have slowly been moving it over to the Casita and organizing it as I go, it’s felt a bit like a game of Tetris. I suspect my first couple months traveling I’ll be continuing to refine the process as I discover what fits best where, and what I use often vs. what can be stored in harder to reach places.

I’m pretty satisfied. It looks like I should be able to find a spot for everything and still have room left over, unlike this coin operated toy rocket, which really did not have any room left over once I got into it.

The hope is that it all weighs in at under 600 lbs, as that’s all the wiggle room I had when it comes to the gross vehicle weight rating of the Casita, which was at 2,900 with full propane and fresh water but empty black and gray tanks.

I’ve gotten one more thing done today that was on my to-do list: my last dentist appointment, yay! Wasn’t looking forward to that, but it’s so nice having it over and done with. Actually the cleaning was about a week ago, but I had a cavity that needed to be filled so went in for that today. Thankfully it was only one, because I no longer have dental insurance and fillings add up fast. Now I won’t have to worry about it again until next summer.

For cleaning, I’ve got the windows, bathroom, and exterior of the trailer left to go, and then taking Bertha to a car wash. I’ve got a good idea who I’ll be getting my health insurance from, but still need to look into RV insurance in the next couple weeks. There are a lot of little things too, getting the rest of Julie’s music onto my laptop and from the laptop onto my iphone so I have stuff to listen to on the long ride to South Dakota, making sure I’ve rounded up all the copies of the Casita keys and put them where I want them, making sure my IRA with Wells Fargo is squared away, picking up something to carry my waste hose in.

That’s about it. I don’t expect to be taking any more trips until the 14th as I work on getting all of this stuff squared away. But thanks for sticking around through this not so fun part of the process. ย Better times are coming, 19 more days to go!

, , ,

20 Responses to A Place For Everything

1. Kim August 27, 2012 at 9:20 pm #

Yay! You are getting there. Leaving with clean teeth is important. Seriously. It’s arduous to plan and prepare for so long. I know. Soon comes the payoff!

• Becky August 28, 2012 at 8:41 pm #

Indeed Kim. I posted on your blog when you announced that you bought your class B, how exciting!

I think your path was more arduous than mine was, what with the tornado and all. It was very inspiring how you persevered and kept going with your dream anyway, good for you!

2. Sherry August 27, 2012 at 9:35 pm #

Always a good idea to get the medical things wrapped up with the doctors you know. Lots of full timers swing back through their former home towns for once a year check ups. It is great watching you get prepared. I keep thinking I should downsize to a casita. It would just be easier but I wonder if I could really have all the clothing for 4 seasons, and everything else that I really use in my life on the road in such a small space. Watching you is good.
    Sherry recently posted..Here we are at ZoolandMy Profile

• Becky August 28, 2012 at 9:00 pm #

Clothing was a bit of a toughie! Fortunately I’ve never been much of a clothing person and tend to only replace things as they wear out. The closet in my Casita has been divided into 4 shelves which can be seen in a previous post on organization. I use the top shelf for towels, wash clothes, and my swimming suit. The second one is all my shirts up front, with a couple hoodies and a wind jacket in the back. The third one is pants/shorts up front, with my one set of nice interview clothes in back and my renaissance faire outfit. The bottom shelf is toiletries, flash lights, paper towel, other things like that.

All my winter clothes except for the hoodies are in two 29″x18″x6″ tupperwares that are stacked on top of each other underneath the double bed in the back. These are the perfect size, as I have exactly 12″ of clearance under there.

Shoes live in Bertha for now as there isn’t really room in the entryway for them to all hang out. I have plenty of room for just me. In fact I think I could have done the 16′ and been just fine too.

3. Reine August 28, 2012 at 3:06 am #

See if you can find or order a 5″ vinyl fence post with caps for your sewer hose. If you can’t find one locally, you can order from Home Depot. Get the 5″ NOT the 4 3/4″ from Lowes. It should fit on the tongue of the Casita behind the propane tanks. You may already have a small round one there.

• Becky August 28, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

Yeah, I have a 4″ round one which is riveted to the body of the Casita behind my propane tanks, leaving no room for a longer one for a larger hose. And I really don’t want to mess with those rivets so I’m still undecided how to solve that problem.

4. John Hussey August 28, 2012 at 4:32 am #

Some thoughts:
    So long as you are hooked to your tow vehicle, it’s insurance should cover any item being towed, usually just listed to your auto insurance policy at little or no charge. That is how my Casita is insured. Check your policy or call your agent?

Good Sam has a special going for their roadside assistance for both your tow vehicle and trailer which sends a tow truck for both you and your Casita, about anywhere, if you call for it. The cost was less than $100/year and I find it comforting knowing I will not have to leave the Casita alongside the road in the event of a breakdown. Plus they show up for little things like flats, out of gas, locked out…

A SPOT at “findmespot” is an inexpensive possibility and it works even if there is no cell phone coverage, plus you can push a button and check in every day and let friends and family know precisely where you are. I use one on kayaking trips in the event of an emergency. Mine is a SPOT Messenger. You could even connect it with your blog.

Good luck. I enjoy reading your progress.

• Becky August 28, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

Thanks for all the tips John. I’m already a Good Sam member so there is that.

The issue with insurance is that kind of policy covers the RV in case it gets wrecked on the road but doesn’t cover the homeowner’s kind of things like if it gets damaged while I’m parked somewhere or someone gets injured while inside it. It takes a special kind of insurance to cover those issues. I may not end up getting this sort of policy anyway since I’m still looking, but it would cover me for more things.

I’ll look into the SPOT thing as well, I think we actually sell those at Best Buy, I can peek at them while at work tomorrow.

Thanks again for reading. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. LenSatic August 28, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

Usually the sewer hose goes in the bumper. Yours does not?

• Becky August 28, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

Nope, the older Casitas don’t have sewer hose bumpers.

• Reine August 30, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

If you got the RhinoFlex sewer hose, then it’s probably time to drill out the rivets and add the fence post sewer storage after you find the fench post. One way to handle the holes is to install a rivet to hold a snap cap in the “empty” hole. You’re the only one who will know if’s not holding anything.

About organizing…you’re right that it will take a at least a couple of months of living solo to get things where you want them. And don’t be surprised if you’re still tweaking several years from now. I’ve found that baskets from the dollar store work really well in the overhead bins above the side dinette. Makes it easy to organize little stuff and just take the basket out to rummage for the stuff I need.

• Becky August 30, 2012 at 10:41 pm #

Well I’d probably buy more Marine Tex to fill the holes in with, that’s what I did when I took out the rusted screws holding the dinette support in place. It’s just so much extra work. ๐Ÿ˜›

I’ll keep in mind the dollar store baskets! Up until now I haven’t been able to find anything that fit that narrow little space well.

• Reine August 31, 2012 at 1:15 am #

I have some better quality ones as well as the dollar store variety. They’re all about 2″ high and maybe 5″ x 7 or 10″ long. I also like using the baskets that are 5″ high in the fridge to keep stuff from moving around when traveling as well as to group like things together.

6. Marvin August 30, 2012 at 9:02 am #

Do you have room to put a 5″ PVC pipe on top of the 4″ ? If yes , use some large heavy duty zip ties to hold it in place . PVC pipe can be purchased in any diameter and cut to length . End caps are a stock item .

• Becky August 30, 2012 at 10:43 pm #

Probably what I’ll do. Camping World wanted quite a bit for a 64″ tube that is 4.5″ in diameter. I do have the Rhino Flex hose which I think is too wide for that, and my 15ft hose is 56″ compressed so something that is closer to the right length would be good.

• Dale August 31, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

I like the Rhino Flex (always swear by a well made heavy duty hose).They have never fitted into a bumper properly on my rig though. I carry mine in the same bin as my propane tanks for my 26 footer.
        Anyway, stopping in to wish you luck on your launch.
        I’ll be going back on the road soon as well (took a season off to deal with family issues and stuff).
        at any rate , Happy adventures,
        Tips I like from above: *Wire Ties (all kinds) . They are so handy.
        *bins from the Dollar Tree:… Yep.
        *An Auto Club (yep) – an uber good idea
        * The Good Sam auto Club (nope) try to get them on the phone in you have a problem — not.

• Becky September 1, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

Thanks Dale for the well wishes.

I do love my Rhino Flex hose, really glad I invested the money in it. I’ll figure out some way to transport it. And I really have come to see the benefits of tubs for carrying and organizing things

Sorry to hear about the family issues, but hopefully it’s all sorted out now. Anyway it’s good to hear that you’ll be getting back on the road soon! Safe travels and happy trails.

7. Ross Macintosh September 1, 2012 at 7:40 am #

For insurance I found an agent in my region who specializes in rv insurance. You might want to check them out. They have an online thingie for giving quotes and I followed up by calling the agent. She was very helpful. It was definitely a soft sell and I liked the options they offered. I’m not sure if they sell to Americans but the they probably can since the big insurance company that underwrites the policy (Aviva) is multinational. Check out rvinsure.ca

With regards to the possibility that you may have some trailer-related coverage from your truck’s insurance: Check with your insurance agent! Such coverage varies from state to state. Separate insurance is a requirement in many states. Here in Prince Edward Island I was required to have a separate policy and I had it in place before I picked up the trailer at the factory.

Unfortunately the chance of an accident when towing is greater than when not towing. It is important to have proper coverage to protect not only yourself but the others hurt if your actions cause an accident. (My sister was 16 when she was in an accident that left her permanently disabled — she is now 54 years old and has never been able to work. The other driver who caused the accident had no insurance. Her settlement with that drivers former insurer was only $64,000. That other guy’s failure to have proper legally-required insurance has had a huge impact on my sister’s life). As drivers it is our responsibility to have proper coverage.

Regards, Ross (Sorry if I come off as a little preachy – my father was a minister so it probably comes naturally).
    Ross Macintosh recently posted..Camplites in Iceland?My Profile

• Becky September 1, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

Hehe, I will definitely be getting RV coverage as I stated above so no worries there.

I’ve got a few RV insurance companies names from various people, just haven’t done the research yet. It’ll come though, just one thing at a time. It’s how I keep from going mad. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Tomorrow is going to be finishing cleaning the bathroom, cleaning the blinds, testing my new fancy hitch, and trimming the grass around the RV (to keep the ants from climbing up it).

I can’t believe it’s September, this month is it!

• Ross Macintosh September 2, 2012 at 7:38 am #

I did some more checking on insurance & how the tow vehicle insurance relates. It seems most if not all States allow the tow vehicle’s liability insurance to cover the trailer but only while being towed. If the trailer breaks away you aren’t covered for the damage it causes unless the policy has an applicable rider. Liability insurance also doesn’t cover any damage to the trailer itself. There are also implications in the those states that have no-fault insurance. Of course the best source for insurance advice is an agent (and not people like me!).

Regards, Ross