Of State Parks, Photos, and Water-closets

This year has been a series of countdowns it seems. And now it’s on again, a little over five weeks until departure for full-timing! There hasn’t been much to write about the past couple days. I’ve been busy with work and helping Julie move and sorting out our shared stuff and the storage locker. Not very interesting to read about, but still necessary for RVing.

One new bit of news, I’ve decided that I’ll be leaving on Friday 9/14. I’ll be driving about four hours that day, and then stopping at a campground somewhere in mid Georgia on my way up to SD, it’ll be either High Falls or Indian Springs State Park but we haven’t picked which one yet. The idea is to camp there through the end of the weekend with Julie – it’ll be my first true campground experience and we plan to treat it like a bit of a vacation, there will be hiking and swimming and campfires (drought permitting) for sure. Then Monday Julie heads back to Bluffton and I continue north west at a faster and less vacation-y pace.

I’ve figured out how to get the pictures off my iphone as of last night, yay! But the quality is poor and the video I’d like to post is showing sideways even though I was holding the phone right side up when filming. So it’ll be a bit yet before I get back to using my own pictures. They’re coming, I promise!

The video in question was from this afternoon. We had torrential rain overnight and I woke up to water in the closet. Just a day prior I’d applied PVC cement to what I thought was the leaking joint that was letting water that got into the gray water vent pipe (my cover for that vent on the roof isn’t well attached and in strong winds it’ll slide open) escape into the closet. It seems that I cemented the wrong thing, but on the bright side that joint should hold up for years to come!

I’m at a loss now to explain where the water could be coming from. It’s only leaked a total of three times in over three months which holds up with my theory that it only happens when wind manages to push the vent cover askew. When I first brought the Casita home I re-caulked around both vents on the roof because they looked horrible. I got up on the ladder after work and those seals still look really good so the water isn’t coming from there, perhaps from the little mini rivets that hold the vent in place? My ProFlex is dried up now, so I’ll need to run to Camping World tomorrow before work to get another tube of it to try sealing these little rivets off, maybe that’ll do the trick. If that doesn’t work, then I just move on to the next most likely cause until I get no more leak.

Sadder is the fact that my shiny new rivet leaked a little too. It wasn’t as bad as it use to be, just a bit of dampness. I think it’s because that rivet hole is at an angle so there is no way to get the rivet head and snap cap level to the surface of the roof. A little ProFlex should fix that problem as well.

And that sums it up. More exciting posts are ahead in the weeks to come, in the meantime you’ll just have to bear with me. Most things that are worth doing require some amount of monotonous and not very exciting work and right now I’m in one of those spots.

Image courtesy of angee09

17 Responses to Of State Parks, Photos, and Water-closets

1. hobopals August 8, 2012 at 10:50 pm #

Hey, Becky! If you camp at High Falls, there is the town of Juliet nearby. The “Whistle Stop” is there. The cafe is where “Fried Green Tomatoes” was filmed, and it’s a great little place to stop and take pictures. I was fascinated that the cafe’ itself is JUST like in the movie (which I love and have seen numerous times). I read the book, again, not too long ago.

By the way, it would be difficult to find anything other than a great Georgia State Campground.
    hobopals recently posted..The Birthday BoyMy Profile

• Becky August 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

Ended up being Indian Springs, but the two are so close together Juliet still won’t be hard to get to, we’ll see how things go.

I hope it’s a nice park, because $28 a night is pretty costly. It’s going to be $84 for the three nights there, yikes. This is why I want to make my rig more boondocking friendly. πŸ˜› It’ll be nice for a vacation type break thing, but no way I’ll be able to afford that on a regular basis.

2. LenSatic August 9, 2012 at 12:15 am #

When you replace a rivet, put some silicone sealant on it before you pop it.

Here is where we boondocked last week when we met up with our son in Wyoming: [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Max-EPR/IMG_2097.jpg[/IMG] Good times! You will love it.

• Becky August 9, 2012 at 2:25 pm #

Ooo that’s a nice picture Len, a very pretty area.

I’ve heard silicone is a bit of a nightmare on fiberglass trailers so I’ve been using ProFlex. Next time I put a rivet in guess I’ll use it first, live and learn.

3. Misty August 9, 2012 at 7:18 am #

I’m glad I’m not the only one with leaking problems. XD

I think we should visit the Long Term Visitor Areas out west after you finish up your three months with Amazon. Boondocking could make your campground money stretch a lot further! πŸ˜€ It’s been really helpful for me, especially here in the northwest where campgrounds are SO EXPENSIVE.

Anyhow, good luck to you! Can’t wait until we finally get to meet up!
    Misty recently posted..…BEAVER (or, you know, some vaguely beaver-like critter)My Profile

• Becky August 9, 2012 at 2:36 pm #

Silly leaks. Oh well.

Yeah that was the plan Misty, boondock on BLM land out in New Mexico or Arizona over the winter months (after visiting my family for Christmas), I’d love to meet you out there!

As I’ve said before Quartzsite is in Arizona, and there is a lot of BLM land in that area, was kind of where I was thinking of heading at least for a while, I’m open to suggestions though. πŸ˜›

4. Misty August 9, 2012 at 7:20 am #

I almost forgot! With Windows movie maker, you can rotate videos. πŸ™‚ It came standard with my installation of Windows 7, so you may have it and not realize it.

• Becky August 9, 2012 at 2:37 pm #

Nope, did not know that. Next time I have some down time I’ll peek at it!

5. cozygirl August 9, 2012 at 9:31 am #

Oh no, still leaking? Wonder if anyone on the Casita forum had the same situation and might have some input?

Had to smile about the quarter container. When young, I lived with my mother in an apt and we always used pay machines…she had this tiny orange Tupperware container…25+ later, I still have it with some of her quarters in it. In our downsizing and packing, I found it in her treasure box and guess where it’s going to find a new home, in the Casita…another memory of her to carry with me O:)

Every try white vinegar for your machine rinse…it makes towels super soft and smell so fresh…out of the dryer of course :O) ~cozygirl http://itsacozygirl.blogspot.com

• Becky August 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

I’ll figure the leak out, probably should have used some of the sealant on the rivet before popping it in as was suggested above.

I have a couple of those kind of things as well, small mumentos that’ll be coming with because they have good memories attached to them and won’t be a hassle to carry along. πŸ™‚

Nope, never heard of using white vinegar before! I learn something new every day…

• Ross Macintosh August 10, 2012 at 5:50 am #

Hi Becky – I’ve been thinking about your leak. I think you said when installing the rivit the pin didn’t break off and you ended up snipping it. If that’s the case, the rivit likely isn’t as tight as it is designed to be and it should be replaced. When you install a rivit it pulls the end that is away from the tool towards the tool collapsing the rivit as it pulls. It is that collapsing of the rivit that effectively clamps the two surfaces together with the rivit’s flange on one face and the collapsed rivit on the other. If the pin doesn’t pop off then the rivit isn’t fully collapsed. You could practice using the tool by riviting together a couple pieces of plastic or cardboard.

I’m sure you’ll get the leaks under control. — Regards, Ross
        Ross Macintosh recently posted..classy camping coffee…My Profile

• Becky August 10, 2012 at 11:33 am #

Thanks for the tips Ross. Ideally I would have taken a class of some sort to see first hand how it was done before attempting it myself but time was of the essence. When I was at Home Depot buying the other supplies I asked about scrap pieces of plastic or fiberglass and they had nothing – I wasn’t going to pay for some big new piece to practice on.

Live and learn. πŸ™‚ I got up on the ladder this morning and used sealant on the side of the rivet that wasn’t flush (due to the hole being at an angle) and also on the little rivet heads holding the grey tank vent in place. I’ll continue to keep a close eye on them and keep an eye out for scraps to practice on in case the rivet fails and I need to try again.

• Hazel August 11, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

Yep, baking soda and vinegar are all you need to clean most anything! I even wash my hair with them!

6. Sherry August 9, 2012 at 10:43 am #

You are so right that things worth doing often require some monotonous and not very exciting work. You will also find that there are lots of not exciting days full timing. It is real l ife after all and you have to deal with most of the same things you did before. You just get to have a new backyard whenever you like.

Why a fast pace to SD? Seems like you would want to just mozy out there and then mozy south.

So sorry to hear about the leaks. They are the nightmare of all fulltimers since they can do damage we can’t even see. Hope you locate them and get them all sealed up.
    Sherry recently posted..Day +22 – line out; another stepMy Profile

• Becky August 9, 2012 at 2:50 pm #

Heya Sherry. It won’t be a mosy because I don’t really know how long it’ll take to get everything set up in SD and I’d rather get there quickly and have time left over afterward to enjoy myself than get up there slowly and realize I didn’t leave myself enough time to get it all done. There is a time limit since I gotta be at coffeyville by Sept. 29th.

At least these leaks are easy to spot and keep an eye on. More worrisome is the fact that if I have leaks in these two spots I probably have leaks in other places that I haven’t spotted yet. But there’s no use thinking about it now. I’ll keep an eye on things, eand with my big cleaning coming up i should be able to get a good look at all the nooks and crannies.

I’m glad to hear that David is feeling better! I’d send you a post card, but Bluffton really isn’t that much cooler than Florida. πŸ˜›

7. Dale August 9, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

I like Indian Springs. High Falls is nice too, but watch for snakes there. Happy Travels.
    Dale recently posted..prince edward island walk A7My Profile

• Becky August 9, 2012 at 2:51 pm #

Thanks Dale. I’ll watch for snakes at either place, just to be safe. πŸ˜‰