The Right Choice

Right now I’m doing my typical day off routine of laundry in the morning while I write a blog post. The thing that makes today different is that instead of being at the campground (where they charge $1.50 for a load of wash and $1.00 for drying – remember to factor the cost of laundry into your money plans for full-timing), I’m writing to you from an apartment.

It’s okay, don’t panic! I didn’t decide to ditch the RV dream and move back into an apartment. This is actually Julie’s apartment. So far things are going according to the plan we worked out in April. She signed the lease on the 1st and we spent yesterday after work dragging the cleaning supplies over here to give it a good once over before moving her stuff in this weekend.

As far as apartments go, it’s pretty nice. Tall 9 foot ceilings seem to stretch on forever, especially after spending so much time in the Casita with it’s 6 foot ceiling. It’s on the first floor which will make moving furniture in easier, and it faces the back of the complex which is up against a bit of forest so the view is nice and secluded. It’s a true one bedroom, not a studio, so there is a separate living room and bedroom which will be great to give Fish and Chance (her other cat that has been boarding the whole time we’ve been living in the RV) their own space.

It’s got new carpets, a newer oven, fridge, and microwave, a lot of big windows, and the A/C works well. But from the moment I first saw it yesterday, I knew I had made the right choice living in the Casita. Don’t get me wrong, there are a couple things I miss, with larger kitchen space for cooking and doing dishes being at the top of the list. But what excited me most about the apartment was the novelty of it. It is somewhere new, a new neighborhood to explore, pool to swim in, and a better view outside the windows, a fresh adventure. Once I’m traveling, I’ll get to experience the novelty of a new place on a regular basis.

For the next five to six weeks, I kind of get the best of both worlds. The apartment isn’t far from Stoney Crest at all, so I can bring my laundry over here and do it for free. I’ll also be able to come over to use the WiFi, so no more planning my day around the public library’s limited summer hours. I’ll also be able to move some of the stuff stored in my truck and RV into the apartment temporarily to give everything a thorough cleaning before heading north on the first leg of my journey.

Perhaps most importantly, this overlap gives us both time to adjust to living alone. Julie has never lived alone before, and I haven’t since my first semester of college. Saying goodbye (for now) to her and my other friends who live down here will be bittersweet, and this period allows us to get use to the change.

, , , , ,

13 Responses to The Right Choice

1. Hazel August 4, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

So you’re moving on to the next stage…super! Change is the only constant.

To save laundry money, first we wear clothes more than once. Then we often rinse out a few things in a dishpan outside, and hang them on a clothes rack that we bungee to the bumper, or hang on a hanger in the bathroom. So many outdoor clothes and summer clothes are light and fast-drying.

The tiny kitchen is a challenge, isn’t it?! These are things we’ve found help: adding a flip-up shelf beside the stove for small appliances; pulling out the drawer and putting a bamboo cutting board over it for food prep; cooking in a slow cooker (we’re vegetarians and don’t have a BBQ); and washing dishes in a dishpan on a camping table outside under the awning (or on a picnic table). Hope these help.

Enjoy having your Casita to yourself! (Did you name it yet?)

• Becky August 5, 2012 at 9:20 pm #

Yeah I wear clothes more than once too usually, although now that we’re into the hottest part of the year (low 90’s and very humid) often I can’t do that because things get nasty after wearing them even once.

Rinsing out in a dishpan though, that’s a clever idea. πŸ™‚ I have a retractable clothesline that I string betweeen two sheppherds hooks to dry the towels on after showering, works well for me.

The Casita doens’t have a name yet, nothing has come to me! I still believe it’ll come though, until then the Casita will have to do. πŸ™‚

2. cozygirl August 4, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

I am trying to keeping focused on what I am getting for what I am giving up. Today going through all the Christmas totes…all that STUFF. Thinking outloud, “where will I be for Christmas and how will I decorate.” I’ll just have to go back to cutting out snowflakes and wrapping in newspaper…guess that’s a good thing :O)

Laundry…and cooking! The part I’m going to miss is making a huge mess cooking in huge batches and filling the freezer for the long winter. Then again…maybe just some canned beans, rice and fresh fruit would be better for me. Always wanted to learn to be a vegetarian. I plan to get a small pressure cooker for one pan meals. Oh and read a tip when you turn on the shower waiting for warm water…let the cold go into a bucket and save for later cleaning use.

Time is going fast….I know you have to be so excited. I know I am for you :O) ~cozygirl

• Becky August 5, 2012 at 9:24 pm #

I am excited! Got a bunch of cleaning ahead of me now, Julie spent last night in her apartment for the first time and has more or less moved out. Going to be kinda fun re-arranging again and time to pare down my possessions even farther to try to fit my winter clothes and whatever else I need from the storage locker in here.

For Christmas I was thinking I wanted to get a vase for my little dinette (about the only flat surface I have room on to decorate) and put a pine sprig (I love the smell of pine, it’s very Christmas-y to me) in it and other wintery floral stuff, maybe put a red and green bow on the vase. I’ll figure something out. πŸ™‚

• cozygirl August 6, 2012 at 10:28 am #

A pine sprig…now your talking!!! That’s one scent you can almost smell just thinking about it…one of my fav’s!

3. Misty August 6, 2012 at 8:56 am #

Haha, I’ve definitely learned not to pass up a laundromat if I see one. In some areas they can be kind of tough to locate! And keep enough quarters handy… ;p Last week, I started my laundry and didn’t have enough time to let them dry, so when I got to my campsite, I ended up with laundry draped all over my van to dry in the sun. They all kind of smell sourish now. Luckily, no one cares what you smell like when you are camping. πŸ˜›
    Misty recently posted..…BEAVER (or, you know, some vaguely beaver-like critter)My Profile

• Becky August 8, 2012 at 10:12 pm #

Yeeeah I have a little plastic container that is dedicated to holding quarters, about twice a month I gotta run to the bank and trade another $20 bill for two rolls of them. πŸ˜›

I find my towels end up smelling sour if I don’t get them dry fast enough after washing. Luckily washing the towels and then drying fully gets rid of the smell.

4. Ross Macintosh August 8, 2012 at 5:50 am #

There is an online store called that sells clothing (and their famous hats) for travelling comfort. They sell things like socks, underwear & shirts in fabrics specially designed so they can be cleaned by hand in a sink and then will dry quickly. I remember reading about a guy who spent months back-packing in Europe with just two pairs of Tilley socks that he washed in sinks. He said it wasn’t a smelly problem!

And then there is the story about the elephant trainer who had Jumbo eat his Tilley hat! The hat was recovered in due course, washed up, and was as good as new!

Best of luck to Julie & her cats in their new digs!
    Ross Macintosh recently posted..painting the trailer…My Profile

• Becky August 8, 2012 at 10:20 pm #

I went and peeked at the site, looks like some really nice stuff but I’m too cheap to spend that kind of money. I think if I back-packed (I’d like to go across Great Britain sometime) I would invest in clothing like that though, when you gotta carry everything on your back every little bit of space counts.

Glad to hear that things are coming along with your little trailer, best of luck to you guys too!

• Eric August 12, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

I met a guy in my travels that would fly over to Great Britain each year with his bike. Once there, he would buy camping gear and a camping pass. He spent the summer biking around and camping. That would be so much fun.

• Becky August 13, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

Yeah. I’m thinking I’d go backpacking, it’s something Julie wants to do as well. Won’t happen anytime soon I don’t think but eventually.

5. Amy August 15, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

I keep two of the long cylindrical M&M containers on hand for coins. During the year I throw all my quarters into one and when I get a few extra dollars on me i get gold dollar coins at the bank & store them in the other. One M&M container can hold $50 or more in gold dollar coins. When I camp in the OBX of NC in summertime I try to see how long into the week I can go only using my dollars and quarters from the M&M “jar.” The businesses I use always smile when they see me coming. Many of the foreign summer workers have never seen a gold dollar coin so its fun to see their reactions too. πŸ™‚

• Becky August 17, 2013 at 12:06 pm #

Hehe, that’s a neat trick Amy! Keeps things nice and organized too, I like that. Plus M&M’s are tasty so getting the containers certainly wouldn’t be a hardship…