It’s Okay to Take A Break

I’ve had a busy and full couple weeks at work. Combine that with all the prep work necessary to make this fall work and it’s been putting me on edge. The familiar too much to do, too little time feeling. When people come into my departments at work I greet them and ask if I can help them find anything. There are a variety of responses, but one I get a lot is “Nah, I’m just killing time.” I’m jealous of these people, really.

When I was a kid I use to complain to my parents all the time that I was bored and had nothing to do, that just doesn’t happen anymore. There’s always something to do. Even when I have just a few minutes between other things I always carry a little notebook in my bag to write down ideas for a post or things I need to do for traveling or some essential food item that we’re out of. If I don’t use that time efficiently, I get mad at myself.

It was really starting to wear me down, so on my day off yesterday I purposely didn’t put as much on my plate for the day, took things slower and gave myself a little more free time. It felt great. It’s so easy to underestimate how beneficial it is to give yourself some free time, where you don’t feel guilty for not getting stuff done. This is especially important for big unconventional life changing projects, even if it’s something you really want to accomplish like full-time RVing. It’s so easy to get swept up in them and forget that the reason why you’re doing them in the first place is to tailor your current situation to your own liking, to cultivate a better present.

So I don’t have a big and thought provoking article for you to read today. I’d just like to give this public service announcement. If you’ve been working hard on something for a long time, it’s okay to take a break now and then. Really, you deserve it. Tomorrow it’ll all still be there waiting for you.

Interestingly enough, while I couldn’t think of what to write for today’s post yesterday for the life of me (so I took a break from that too), while I was writing this little piece just now I thought of two really solid post ideas for the future. I’d say that’s pretty ironic but it makes perfect sense and fits with today’s theme well. Sometimes when you try too hard it just doesn’t work, and the best course of action is to step back and let things come to you.

, ,

9 Responses to It’s Okay to Take A Break

1. Marvin July 13, 2012 at 10:09 pm #

Becky ,

The opening picture of your blog is priceless . The tide is rising with many obstacles , and the choices and decisions are many . I see a confident person logically following a new and unknown path .

The following is a link that I use for trip planning :

Some of the listings might help .

Be Safe , Have a Great Day

• Becky July 15, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

Thanks Marvin, every little bit adds up. 🙂 It was nice having a couple slower days. I guess not having reliable internet helps with that too, haha.

2. Misty July 13, 2012 at 10:21 pm #

Absolutely. I struggle with this so hard, and I have all my life. Even the great awesome stuff that you want to do requires a break now and then, or you end up blowing up and getting nothing done!

By the way, email me your itinerary, so I can figure out where/when we should meet up! In September sometime I’m going to Connecticut to meet up with a friend, and that’s about as far as I’ve planned.
    Misty recently posted..Quick update and a question…My Profile

• Becky July 15, 2012 at 5:44 pm #

I’ve noticed that It seems to be a pretty common occurance among people who aim to do big things. It’s just so hard sometimes, to give yourself a break when it feels like so much needs to be done. 😉

Itinerary? Whas that? Just kidding. Sure, I’ll give you what I have, although it’s not all nailed down exactly yet.

3. Marcia July 14, 2012 at 9:56 am #

I was listening to a program on NPR yesterday about living the slow life. It doesn’t have to be boring, it’s a time to get to know yourself better. You are well organized and will get everything done for this new phase of your life. Do take some time each day to just “be” – walking, biking, reading, etc. You’ll be very busy during your time at Amazon, so store up some me time now!

• Becky July 15, 2012 at 5:51 pm #

Hiya Marcia.

Yeeeeah I’m expecting Amazon is going to be consuming my life, that last month especially. But in the end even that will balance out because I’ve decided those three months will be about earning money, and then after that I’ll have some time off before my next work gig to focus primarily on other things before I need to stop and work again.

4. Cozygirl July 16, 2012 at 11:51 am #

Good to see some down time your way…love the bike pic :O) Just coming off vacation in FL and back to reality and WORK tomorrow. The 15 hour drive home non-stop provided lots of free thinking UGH…but still determined to stay on path with our journey. Lazy day then I must play blog catch up and most importantly “casita” takeoff planning :O) Thanks for the internet, etc. post – can’t wait to read that! Peace Becky… ~cozygirl

• Becky July 16, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

Heya Cozygirl glad you found the connectivity post useful. It sure can be a drag going back to work but hey, just think of it as money you can put to your future Casita adventure! 🙂

I’d love to get to the keys in Florida sometime, that’s definitely on my list of places to go RVing although I’ll need to reserve a site well in advance there since they fill up so quick. I’ll go kayaking and snorkeling (maybe scuba diving if I’ve taken lessons by then) while I’m there. Where in Florida did you go?

• Cozygirl July 20, 2012 at 9:02 am #

We were on the Panhandle east of Destin on Hwy30A in Seagrove Beach. I too heard you better get your reservation in early for the Keys. It would be dreamy to spend some time there…so tropical. “More money for the Casita” – yes ma’am I’m on a mission to SAVE save save so we can take off for sure next year. This weekend ALL my tons and tons of craft supplies getting bagged up for a sale soon (so unsure still what I want to take with me to create with) …then I’ll dive into Christmas and all the other holiday totes! Wish an estate fairy would come in and sell it all for “free” for me HA!
        Cozygirl recently posted..Maybe the Last Condo Stay Trip to Florida…My Profile