Things Are Coming Together

After 1 year, 6 months, 2 weeks and 2 days of dreaming, planning, and working hard it is now official: I’ll be a full-time RVer by the end of September! I had my phone interview with Amazon today and was offered a position at Coffeyville, KS.

The interview was painless. Basically it was a bit of rapid fire fact giving followed by a series of questions you had to answer no or yes to. A few of the questions are as follows: “Can you lift 25-30 pounds repeatedly?”, “Are you capable of working in temperatures ranging from 50-90 degrees?” (Note: The Coffeyville site at least is temperature controlled, they aim to keep it at 75 degrees), “Are you able and willing to work to work up to 50 hours a week?” etc.

After that I was asked what my preference was for shift and they asked me a couple questions to determine which job would be the best fit for me, with the understanding that they would do their best to accommodate me but that the needs of the company came first, this is stuff I already knew ahead of time. I said I’d prefer to work nights (more money!) and as a Picker (Outbound jobs seem to get more hours, and it sounded more interesting than standing in one spot sorting and packing items.)

Then I was asked if I had any questions for them, of which there weren’t many since I’d done my research ahead of time, and when I could start. I’ll be in the group that starts Oct. 1st, orientation will be the day before.

The actual job offer came as a verbal statement at the end to which I had to say “yes” to accept. I was told there would be a background check form arriving in my mailbox which I had to fill out as a condition of employment (it hasn’t arrived yet) and I also needed to get them a photocopy either through e-mail or fax of a high school or college transcript. One thing I neglected to ask was about the drug test, I’ll be shooting my contact a question about that as I don’t really want to have to go there a week or more ahead of time for it.

This was all almost 4 hours ago now. Since then I have been in full GSD (Get Shi…err, Stuff Done) mode, researching and shooting e-mails off to local RV parks about availability, asking my contact if Amazon will pay for campground WiFi and sending my college transcript to him, making sure I’ll have a local Wells Fargo around to deposit work checks into (yes and maybe no – it’s complicated), and researching my two mail forwarding finalists. I need to decide if I want to declare South Dakota as my residency before starting at Amazon (pop up there to get my driver’s license before starting work? Will this keep me from having to pay SC taxes on it?) or after. Also on the plate in the near future will be getting a true full-timers RV policy in place (and figuring out if keeping the truck at Geico is worth it or not) and poking at to start fishing for a new high deductible health plan that works for South Dakota.

There are still so many variables and things that could potentially go wrong. The old me would be a basket case, paralyzed by the sheer number of things that need to happen at the possibility of screwing it all up. Instead, the new me is grinning like a madwoman and shouting: “Bring it on!” Whatever may happen, I’ll figure it out.

Aaaand with that I should probably get back to work. There’s going to be a celebratory trip to Jersey Mike’s and Josie’s Frozen Yogurt later tonight, and tomorrow I’m going to be running a 5K with Julie at 8 in the morning (forecast is calling for sunny and 89 for a high). More detailed posts about mail forwarding services, good states for residency, and how to search for high-deductible health insurance plans are likely to follow in the coming month.

Image courtesy of earlycj5

, , , , ,

12 Responses to Things Are Coming Together

1. Tina July 3, 2012 at 11:05 pm #

Happy Dance!!!! Very glad you got the job at Amazon!!! Have a great 4th

• Becky July 4, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

Thanks! I hope you have/are having a good 4th too. I worked after the race but now I’m off again. Time to get caught up on comments, hehe.

2. Marvin July 4, 2012 at 8:11 am #

Becky ,

Celebration is in order !

Nothing beats methodical planning , at least in the beginning .

It will be interesting to compare your thoughts and decisions over the next three months – the time will go quickly .

You will be over half way to Quartzite when you finish Amazon , so that could be an option for several months of rest and additional work at a minimum expense .

I hope you are keeping detailed notes , as I see an ebook in the making along with seminars at RV shows .

Make each day count !

• Becky July 4, 2012 at 7:14 pm #

I have a little notebook that comes along with me in my purse. Whenever I think of something I want to write about here when I don’t have access to my laptop I make a note of it so that I’ll remember later. it’s very helpful for remembering the more mundane stuff too like “need more milk” and “call brother today”.

Quartzsite is definitely on my radar for January. I’m thinking there won’t be much for seasonal work opportunities at that time of year but boondocking on BLM land will make for a cheap vacation and I definitely want to check out the scene there. 🙂 I’ve contemplated making something crafty to try to sell if i go – like anklets. I can never find any anklets I like for sale in regular stores so I might as well make my own and use the leftover parts to make extras to sell.

3. cozygirl July 4, 2012 at 8:21 am #

More awesome tips…you are so positive! And good luck with the 5K…I ran my first one last Fall…never thought possible. Used the Couch to 5K program. Happy 4th of July! ~cozygirl

• Becky July 4, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

Yep, I used the Couch to 5K program too, it really did work. In fact, I have a post about it somewhere on here. As a reward when I finished I bought myself a pair of Vibram Five Fingers (toe shoes). Today I raced in them, they make running fun. 🙂

I hope you’re having a good 4th as well!

4. Carolyn July 4, 2012 at 11:17 am #

I look forward to reading about your experiences at

• Becky July 4, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

Thanks Carolyn! I already have a couple more insights to share about the experience, going to wait until I have enough for a full post though.

5. Sherry July 4, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

GREAT attitude….whatever may happen, I’ll handle it! Love that confidence. Frozen yogurt celebration is just the thing. Hope that 89 degrees wasn’t until long long after your 5K. Running at 75 degrees spells trouble for me in the humid south. Maybe not in those dry western states. Hope the race turned out well.
    Sherry recently posted..Moffitt, Whole Foods & FriendsMy Profile

• Becky July 4, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

Yep, the race went well! Actual temp was only around 80 at the time of the race, but it was humid and sunny so heat index was higher. Still, much better for racing than the past few mornings have been.

Since you’re full-timing already I’m sure you already know this but confidence in yourself is something I think is a key ingredient for a dramatic lifestyle change like this. Not that people with lower self-confidence can’t do it, they just don’t even try. Luckily a bit of planning, support from friends and the internet (hello there!), and the understanding that you don’t really fail until you stop trying all help build confidence. I wrote an article about overcoming fear previously which goes into detail about this (not specifically for you Sherry but others who may be reading the comments and want to know more).

I’m glad to hear that David’s treatment is progressing well so far and hope the transplant goes without incident, I’m rooting for him!

6. Craig Hopkins July 4, 2012 at 10:48 pm #

Hi Becky Craig Hopkns, living in Bend, Oregon. You might also look for seasonal work in the national parks. Some of them would be a beautiful, scenery, place to work. Another is Kampgrounds of America, KOA. They hire part-time employees, pay a small wage, and give you a spot to park your rv. Good luck on your new adventure in life.

• Becky July 4, 2012 at 11:08 pm #

Hello Craig! Welcome to IO.

I’d love to work in the national parks being as outdoorsy as I am. It sounds like seasonal summer jobs (usually 6 months?) are available in many national forests which I am looking into and pay reasonably well – the caveat being that they rely heavily on volunteers and typically hire volunteers with good track records into paying positions. I love volunteering, but that wouldn’t pay the bills so isn’t the best option right now. Places like though list many retail/customer service/non-skilled jobs located in resorts around national paks that I will likely look at at some point. When I have a bit more experience with this whole working on the road thing there will be a post about it.

The problem with traditional workamping gigs is they don’t pay near enough for someone who doesn’t have retirement fund or a sizable nest egg to rely on. I don’t just need a place to park the RV, I need enough dough to pay for my food, propane, gas, health insurance, truck/RV insurance, maintenance for truck and RV, internet, phone, etc. and those kinds of gigs just don’t cut it.

Thank you very much for the well-wishes though and welcome aboard. 🙂