Make the Most of Rainy Days

Many a RVer has lamented weather like this, the dreaded all-day rain that forces one to press pause on sight-seeing and adventuring and stay cooped up indoors where cabin fever can quickly set in.   Just sitting around wishing that the sun would come back out isn’t going to make it so, so I’ve come up with a few ways to make the most of a rainy day while RVing. And no, lounging about watching TV all day or bumming around on the internet are not on it.

1. Chores.  I know what your thinking: ugh, I’m already stuck inside why would I want to make myself more miserable by doing chores?  It’s not my number one idea of fun either, but think about it this way: if you do them now, that gives you more time when the weather is nice to do whatever you wish.

Cleaning up the inside of the RV, running errands, and doing small projects that keep getting put off can all fall under this category.  Today I’m going to be sweeping the floors, dumping the tanks, and running to the bank to get more quarters to do laundry with.

2. Earn some money.  The Rules state that one cannot go full-timing until they are retired.  That’s total bull of course, but it doesn’t diminish the fact that if you haven’t had a lifetime to save up the funds that you need to keep earning as you go.  There are as many ways to earn a living on the road as there are people on the road and you are by no means limited to just one method.

If you earn your living via location independent means, as in, something that can be done within your RV whether it’s on the computer, over the phone, or making a physical product, bad weather days are perfect days to do it.

If you’re like me and still trying to figure the location independent income thing out, then bad weather days are perfect days to think about the options.  Or even better, start experimenting to find out what works for you.  You won’t really know until you try after all, and action will get you a lot farther than endless planning.

3. Learn something new.  Why do you RV/want to go RVing to begin with?  There are probably a number of reasons, but chances are experiencing new and exciting things are a part of it.  Rain may keep you from seeing it first-hand today, but that doesn’t mean you can’t read a book about something you’ve been wanting to know more about, or visit indoor attractions like museums that are equally enjoyable rain or shine.

On a related note, working on goals and <dream list> items are also a good way to spend a rainy day.  Stashed away inside the Casita I have a blank package of index cards that I am intending to use as flashcards.  I took Japanese as my foreign language in high school but three years was not enough to get close to fluent in the language and sadly I’ve forgotten a lot of it.  I have a goal to memorize all of the hiragana and katakana symbols by the end of the year, and this would be a great thing to work at on a rainy day while cooped up in the RV.

4. Connect with loved ones. It’s all too easy to lose touch with friends and family when RVing. There is so much to do and see, and distance puts them from our minds.  Rainy days when things are slower though are the perfect time to catch up with people you may not have spoken too in a while.

Just because they haven’t contacted you doesn’t mean they don’t want to talk to you.  Several full-timers that I know say that they often have to be the one to initiate contact.  It’s hard to say exactly why this is, but the best guess is because of the difference in lifestyle, we worry that we’ll have nothing in common to talk about.  Sadly, while it’s probable that some friendships won’t last once you hit the road, you may be surprised by how many do, if you’re willing to put in a little effort to keep in touch.

So, what is your favorite thing to do on a rainy day?

, , ,

12 Responses to Make the Most of Rainy Days

1. Marvin June 8, 2012 at 9:53 am #

I have actually enjoyed the week of wet weather ; all of my indoor chores are done , including the interior of the truck . I have cleaned and vacuumed all of the storage areas , repacked some groceries into plastic or glass containers in smaller servings , and started planning another fall trip.
    Not having a scheduled agenda is really a blessing .
    In the next few weeks , I will do a flea market weekend to make some unused items disappear and raise some funds for future purchases .
    The weather forecast for me is another wet week with cooler temps – book weather .
    Be Safe

• Becky June 8, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

Heya Marvin, sounds like you made good use of the bad weather! And selling off old things to make money and space for new ones is a sound business plan.

2. Todd June 8, 2012 at 10:25 am #

When you state, “The Rules state that one cannot go full-timing until they are retired”, what rules are you referring to? do you mean,the unwritten “rules” of society?

• Becky June 8, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

Yep Todd, didn’t mean it literally.

3. hobopals June 8, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

Well, darn. Something ate my post. Maybe it was trying to tell me that what I said wasn’t worth it. My advice before starting travel, Becky, is to buy yourself some good quality Gortex rainwear including footwear that is waterproof not just water resistant. I’ve done some of my best exploring in the rain, especially if you’re in the northwest. National Parks are perfect for rainy days–no crowds and the animals don’t mind the rain!

I catch up on reading (Kindle, now).

I have a TV and VCR so some rainy days are perfect for curling up and watching a good movie.

Cleaning–I rarely spend a day cleaning because as we have discussed before–if it’s kept clean and tidy all the time, then there doesn’t have to be a whole day devoted too often. Washing the floors has to be done on a dry day, and then there is the dreaded laundry, but other than that-living small eliminates so many of the miserable chores of housekeeping.

When my husband was alive we decided that we wouldn’t let rain keep us from enjoying wherever we were, and having two labrador retrievers made it easy to enjoy the outdoors–great day to take them swimming in a lake! Just my two cents. Sure wish I was on the road, again. I can dream and I can travel vicariously through blogs, for now.
    hobopals recently posted..My Traveling TribeMy Profile

• Becky June 8, 2012 at 6:28 pm #

Thansk for the tips Nancy. I’ve heard a lot of people recommend Gortex, it must be good stuff.

I love love love my Kindle. Haven’t been reading much since moving into the Casita with everything else that’s been going on but I’m really going to enjoy it once I’m on my own.

Best of luck getting on the road, I’d like to meet you out there someday!

4. Hazel June 9, 2012 at 5:45 pm #

We Canadians don’t let a rainy day keep us inside! (Or a snowy day for that matter. ;-))

That said, rain on the roof makes for cozy times reading, watching a movie, or crocheting or whatever portable arts and crafts you do. Napping is good too! LOL

Housecleaning or ‘Casita-cleaning’ takes a total of 15 minutes while Mother Nature is washing the outside.

As you said, it’s also a good day to go to a museum, an art gallery, the library, do grocery shopping and errands.

But don’t forget, splashing in puddles is not only for kids! 😉

• Becky June 9, 2012 at 6:28 pm #

Hee, indeed Hazel. Julie and I like going jogging in the rain too, as long as it isn’t downpour kind of rain. Nothing quite like jogging barefoot on the beach in a fine drizzle, keeps the crowds away and more peaceful.

5. Arlon June 14, 2012 at 8:41 am #

I’m into photography so a rainy day just changes the light and adds a whole new array of subjects. Have rain coats and rain gear for my camera. Of course if it raining early that may mean an extra few minutes between the sheets and another cup of coffee in the morning… I always have a book handy incase it’s really bad but chores? I also live in Midland Tx. I don’t think I’ve seen rain but once on an outing in the last 2 years. )-:}
    Arlon recently posted..20mm F3.5 NikkorMy Profile

• Becky June 14, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

I’ve heard that Texa hasn’t been getting enough rain, it was real bad last summer I heard?

I have a little point and shoot camera that I take pictures with, but it’s nothing like a DSLR. Still it was cheap and easier to carry, and I have fun with it. 🙂 I’ll need to be replacing it at some point, I cracked the LCD screen on the back in the infamous Giant Hamster Wheel Incident, luckily the viewfinder still works fine.

6. Dale July 9, 2012 at 9:50 pm #

The Kindle (or work) is my rainy day in the RV tool. I’m a big fan of the Baen Free E-book library.
    Dale recently posted..psyche and cupid louvre A12My Profile

• Becky July 10, 2012 at 10:34 pm #

Ooo hadn’t heard of that, bookmarked for future reference. 🙂