Fun with Epoxy

Where does the time go? I’ve probably got about two weeks now until the spot at Stoney Crest opens up, although I haven’t heard from them yet, and three weeks until I need to be out of the apartment. There is still so much to do.

This past Saturday the roomie and I got the rusted dinette screws taken care of. Step one was getting the snap caps off and cleaning up all the caulk. I was hoping maybe we’d get lucky and be able to unscrew them at that point without using excessive measures, but it was not to be. The least rusted of the four came out this way, but the other three needed to be dremeled out. Whoever had done it put the screw heads inside the trailer with the nuts facing outside, exactly backwards for how the rivets in the Casita are placed.

The roomie did the actual dremeling inside the RV on the screw heads, while I used a caulk scraper, acetone, and soapy water to clean up the holes as best as I could. We borrowed the dremel from her job (yes, we had permission) which saved me money from having to buy one, always a good thing.

After the screws were all out and the brackets removed from the table and wall, little bits of sandpaper were rolled up and used to scrape the inside of the holes out as best we could, to give the Marine-Tex epoxy something to stick too. Then we used masking tape around the holes to keep the Marine-Tex from getting everywhere, and I mixed the two parts of the concoction together, there was a paste and a liquid portion.

Filling in the holes with a putty knife went quickly, and it’s a very good thing we’d made liberal use of the masking tape because it would have been quite the mess otherwise. I did manage to get the stuff in the carpet a little on the inside of the trailer, but that area isn’t going to look very nice anyway given all the rust stains and it’ll be underneath the dinette most of the time anyhow.

All and all, we’re both quite proud of the work we did. The side dinette table top won’t be as secure now compared to how it was with the brackets, but the great thing about Marine-Tex is it can be drilled so if I decide at a later date that I absolutely need to have that extra stability, I can take the trailer somewhere and have the work done properly.

Yesterday I went back out to the Casita to make sure the stuff was actually hardening, and all looked to be good. The inside makes me pretty sad right now though because cleaning up all those metal filings is going to be a pain. I thought about buying a cordless hand held vacuum but am on the fence about that. Ideally I’d just haul the regular vacuum out there to clean everything up, but I won’t have access to electricity until the actual move and I want it clean before that.

I also went out to Hunting Island yesterday. Did some hiking, and walked through the campground and dreamed about the day that I’ll actually be camping out there. It was a nice break, and the weather was gorgeous.

Well, time is ticking and I have five good hours to get stuff done today. Have a good week all!

6 Responses to Fun with Epoxy

1. Brian April 9, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

Just a thought, depending on what the hardware was made from a magnet might pick up the metal shavings. Good job on the repairs.

• Becky April 9, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

Thanks Brian, it’s worth a shot to try.

2. Ross Macintosh April 9, 2012 at 8:06 pm #

Becky – Have you seen the tv ads for the Schticky™? As Vince Offer (the Shamwow guy)says “You can clean your house in a quickie if you have the Schticky™” I’m thinking his Little Schticky™ might just be the ticket to cleaning your house on wheels! In the commercial Vince uses it to pick up loose coins so it will likely have no trouble with your filings.

Brian’s idea to use a magnet is probably spot on but with the Schticky™ you’ll no doubt successfully gather up lots of other unwanted gunk – and have more fun.

Regards, Ross

• Becky April 9, 2012 at 10:24 pm #

I haven’t seen those commercials so I just googled it now. It’d be impossible to get in the crevices with it, but does look handy for bigger spaces and would be less money than a hand vac. Maybe I’ll check to see if a magnet works first and if I have no luck there move on to this, thanks for the idea.

3. Sherry April 10, 2012 at 9:46 am #

Congratulations for taking on the fix it project. Hope the clean up is easy.

LOVE Hunting Island. I’ll be spending Thanksgiving there this year. Great place to be thankful for.

Sherry recently posted..Off to KoreshanMy Profile

• Becky April 11, 2012 at 11:22 pm #

Took the Casita and truck to Camping World to get the weight distribution hitch installed today and stopped at a gas station that had a coin operated vacuum on the way back, it cleaned up the filings quite nicely. 🙂 Getting the rust off the carpet is another story, I very much doubt I’ll get the staining out but as long as it’s no longer caked in rust I’ll be happy.

My roommate wants us to stay at site # 100 at Hunting Island, I’m not convinced though. It’s a pull through site but sort of bi-level, the picnic table and fire ring are on a raised part of the site and the part that the trailer will be one will definitely require some effort to level. It’s neat looking and offers a bit more privacy that some of the others though.