RV Living Logistics

What all needs to happen to go from living in an apartment to living stationary in a RV? Well, here’s a list of how it looks for me:

• Reservation at RV park/notice of evacuation from current place
  • RV fix ups
  • Necessary RV accessories
  • Downsizing/storage/arranging moving truck
  • Mail
  • Address change
  • Insurance

Before anything else, I’d make sure you have a place to stay in your RV before you get serious about living in it.

Figure out where you want to live in your RV, then start searching for places in that area. My first step was calling Stoney Crest Campground here in Bluffton about making a reservation. This location afforded a reasonable commute to both of our jobs and was the only RV park in the city with price savings that made breaking our current lease worth it. The price is $350 a month for a 30 amp site.

The day I made that reservation for a four month stay starting near the end of April, I also informed our current apartment that we would be leaving early. I had looked back through our lease ahead of time, and knew what the costs and procedures for leaving early were going to be. In our case, it was worth it.

Then it was time to start getting the RV ready. I already covered the caulking I did to the Casita and the things I was planning to buy in my post a week and a half ago ā€“ The Five Week Countdown. So far, I have spent about $148 on RV supplies and equipment, not including the $500 I dropped down at Camping World to order my Reese 66151 hitch. Once that comes in, I’ll be towing the Casita there to have them install it at a cost of $132.

Now I’m at the final four things on the list. My roomie will be putting her stuff into storage since this is just a temporary thing for her. She was kind enough to offer me room for some of my stuff too, which means I don’t have to try to get rid of absolutely everything in the limited amount of time left before the move. There will definitely still be a good bit of downsizing in the next few weeks though.

When I made the reservation at Stoney Crest, I also inquired about mail. I was thinking we might need to get a box at the post office or something, but it turns out that mail can be sent to Stoney Crest, it goes the office and then one of the owners delivers the mail to the residents.

We’ll both still need to get our USPS change of address forms done, and inform our jobs, insurance, banks, etc. of the move. Oh, and a good tip: It takes a while for the change of address form to go through and for your mail to start being forwarded to the new address, I’d recommend putting the request in at least two weeks ahead of time.

Insurance is the last big thing. Right now I have a policy on the RV that covers part-time use, but on the day we move into it I’ll be calling Geico up and switching it to something that covers living full-time in it. I should probably call them ahead of time actually to get the exact cost.

And there you have it, the more logistical side of moving into your RV when it’s going to be staying in one place. It’s quite possible this post will get a upgrade at some point when I look back after all is said and done and figure out more things. Any questions? Comments?

Image courtesy of MoonSoleil

, , , ,

6 Responses to RV Living Logistics

1. Isherwood Wildwalker March 29, 2012 at 11:51 am #

Love the progress!

I’m excited to read more!
    Isherwood Wildwalker recently posted..Anger for Anger’s sake? No Thank YouMy Profile

• Becky March 29, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

Sometimes it seems like it’s happening so fast, and sometimes it seems like it’s taking forever. I imagine you probably know how that feels since I understand that you’re working on fixing and upgrading your house right now, best of luck with that. šŸ™‚

2. Ross Macintosh March 31, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

How is it working out having your trailer at the storage facility until your move? I imagine you must feel a bit of a disconnect compared to how much easier it would be if it were parked right outside where you are now living.

Its great seeing your plans come together and your dreams come true.

Regards, Ross

• Becky April 1, 2012 at 9:13 am #

Fortunately it’s less than 10 minutes from where I live, situated between the apartment and my job actually. This means I get to visit it on my way to and from work which is nice. Of all the places that I could have stored it at, this one is the most convenient.

Thanks Ross, I’ve got a busy April ahead of me. šŸ˜‰

3. Jeff & Jan Shealy April 1, 2012 at 6:29 am #

We are enjoying your website very much. We are currently at a campground in Beaufort, SC,,, Tucked in the Woods… not for from where you will be living.. we came down for a short getaway… a couple days here then to Savannah, Ga… staying at the Biltmore campground…

We have set our goal of 2 yrs to make the adventure also… Having 33 yrs with the company I am employed and my wife’s 23 yrs… we are well on our way…Medical issues have pushed us to thinking more on this direction because of our love for RV’ing.

Keep up the good job… will catch you on the road,

Jan & Jeff

• Becky April 1, 2012 at 9:25 am #

Pleasure to meet you Jeff and Jan and welcome to Interstellar Orchard. You’re not that far from Hunting Island where you are now, I hope if you haven’t yet you’ll get the chance to go visit it, it’s one of my favorite places. I’m sure you’ll like Savanna too, I just love all the little parks in the downtown area.

I always enjoy hearing about others who are embarking on their own RVing adventure. Congratulations, and keep me informed of your progress. šŸ™‚