Time for another mid-month update on my plans, and this one is pretty significant. As I have mentioned in comments a couple times, I gave my 2.5 weeks notice last week to the job I hate. My last day there is going to be the 27th, hooray! There’s just a couple things to work out with this.
First of all, I don’t have another job lined up yet, so besides fighting off the remainder of a cold, I’m also spending a good deal of time searching for a new job in the area. One that will be less stressful, but most certainly won’t be making me as much money.
If I don’t find one right away it isn’t the end of the world since I have a fair bit saved up, but seeing as how I want that saved up money for buying the RV, the sooner I can get something lined up, the better. For this reason, I’m not going to be posting as frequently until I get a new job. Instead of twice a week, I’m going to be updating once a week, I hope you all understand.
Secondly, the Casita. I have enough to buy it now, but once I’m at a lower paying job, I might not. There were two options: buy it now, and hope that once my job changed I could still afford to hold it all together until the lease on my (expensive) apartment came up in September, or hold off on buying it until I see what happens with my finances. I chose option number two. I’m still planning to buy it this year, but it might not be until later this year now, it’s really hard to say until I take care of the main priority of finding a new job.
Maybe now your wondering why I’m leaving my current position in the first place, if it guarantees me the RV now. This was my plan back last September when the roomie and I moved in here. It’s more expensive, but the only thing available that was a reasonable distance from both our jobs. The answer is pretty simple at heart: I couldn’t stand to be miserable for another 10 months. I’m now pretty certain that had I tried to stick it out, I would have walked out at some point before the 10 months was over anyway, and then be in a worse position because I’d have spent the money on the Casita, still be stuck in this lease until September, and not been able to use my boss and co-workers as references for finding a new job.
On the other side of things though, this has opened up an opportunity for me. One of the things on my Dream List is to perform in a renaissance festival, and try outs for the 2012 season for Atlanta’s festival are happening the weekend of the 28th. It’s something I never could have done at the old job, because I work Tues-Sat, and ren fests are a weekend thing. As I’m applying for new jobs, I’m putting down that I would really like to have the weekends that the festival runs (8 in all) off. Maybe I’ll be able to get them, and maybe not. But at least I’ll have the chance to attend try outs.
So, a quick run down of the current ever-changing plan. Get a new job, try to hold my savings steady at said job until September. At that point, the roomie and I will move to a much smaller apartment and the lease will be in her name and something she can afford on her own (fortunately she now makes more than I do, even at the current dreaded job), but we’ll both be splitting rent equally while I’m there. This should allow me to start saving up again, and if I don’t have enough for the Casita right away, hopefully it won’t be too long until I do.
Once I have the Casita, I’ll then have the ability to move out whenever it works best for me, did I mention my roommate rocks? Likely I’d be staying in Bluffton (there is a little RV park here that is open year round and the charge is only $300 a month) while I practice living in the RV and figure out exactly what I need to buy to make it work. I’d then start truly full-time traveling once I got my money back up to a respectable level and the Casita broken in.
Right now, the road to full-timing is proving to be quite turbulent and uncertain, but I’m confident in my ability to push past the obstacles and see this thing through. I realize I haven’t been posting much information on the various aspects of RVing lately with everything else that has been coming up, but rest assured that it’s coming, just not quite on the time schedule I had first anticipated.
Oh! Financial update quick, before I go. In the middle of December, I was at about $17,400 in savings. Right now I’m a bit below that, around $17,250. This isn’t anything alarming. My bi-annual truck insurance came due, and then I spent just over $500 on maintenance stuff for it. These are both infrequent but necessary expenditures.
Have a good week everyone, and may today find you a bit closer to where you want to be than yesterday.
Image courtesy of Tony the Misfit