The Only Predictable Thing is Change

Time for another mid-month update on my plans, and this one is pretty significant. As I have mentioned in comments a couple times, I gave my 2.5 weeks notice last week to the job I hate. My last day there is going to be the 27th, hooray! There’s just a couple things to work out with this.

First of all, I don’t have another job lined up yet, so besides fighting off the remainder of a cold, I’m also spending a good deal of time searching for a new job in the area. One that will be less stressful, but most certainly won’t be making me as much money.

If I don’t find one right away it isn’t the end of the world since I have a fair bit saved up, but seeing as how I want that saved up money for buying the RV, the sooner I can get something lined up, the better. For this reason, I’m not going to be posting as frequently until I get a new job. Instead of twice a week, I’m going to be updating once a week, I hope you all understand.

Secondly, the Casita. I have enough to buy it now, but once I’m at a lower paying job, I might not. There were two options: buy it now, and hope that once my job changed I could still afford to hold it all together until the lease on my (expensive) apartment came up in September, or hold off on buying it until I see what happens with my finances. I chose option number two. I’m still planning to buy it this year, but it might not be until later this year now, it’s really hard to say until I take care of the main priority of finding a new job.

Maybe now your wondering why I’m leaving my current position in the first place, if it guarantees me the RV now. This was my plan back last September when the roomie and I moved in here. It’s more expensive, but the only thing available that was a reasonable distance from both our jobs. The answer is pretty simple at heart: I couldn’t stand to be miserable for another 10 months. I’m now pretty certain that had I tried to stick it out, I would have walked out at some point before the 10 months was over anyway, and then be in a worse position because I’d have spent the money on the Casita, still be stuck in this lease until September, and not been able to use my boss and co-workers as references for finding a new job.

On the other side of things though, this has opened up an opportunity for me. One of the things on my Dream List is to perform in a renaissance festival, and try outs for the 2012 season for Atlanta’s festival are happening the weekend of the 28th. It’s something I never could have done at the old job, because I work Tues-Sat, and ren fests are a weekend thing. As I’m applying for new jobs, I’m putting down that I would really like to have the weekends that the festival runs (8 in all) off. Maybe I’ll be able to get them, and maybe not. But at least I’ll have the chance to attend try outs.

So, a quick run down of the current ever-changing plan. Get a new job, try to hold my savings steady at said job until September. At that point, the roomie and I will move to a much smaller apartment and the lease will be in her name and something she can afford on her own (fortunately she now makes more than I do, even at the current dreaded job), but we’ll both be splitting rent equally while I’m there. This should allow me to start saving up again, and if I don’t have enough for the Casita right away, hopefully it won’t be too long until I do.

Once I have the Casita, I’ll then have the ability to move out whenever it works best for me, did I mention my roommate rocks? Likely I’d be staying in Bluffton (there is a little RV park here that is open year round and the charge is only $300 a month) while I practice living in the RV and figure out exactly what I need to buy to make it work. I’d then start truly full-time traveling once I got my money back up to a respectable level and the Casita broken in.

Right now, the road to full-timing is proving to be quite turbulent and uncertain, but I’m confident in my ability to push past the obstacles and see this thing through. I realize I haven’t been posting much information on the various aspects of RVing lately with everything else that has been coming up, but rest assured that it’s coming, just not quite on the time schedule I had first anticipated.

Oh! Financial update quick, before I go. In the middle of December, I was at about $17,400 in savings. Right now I’m a bit below that, around $17,250. This isn’t anything alarming. My bi-annual truck insurance came due, and then I spent just over $500 on maintenance stuff for it. These are both infrequent but necessary expenditures.

Have a good week everyone, and may today find you a bit closer to where you want to be than yesterday.

Image courtesy of Tony the Misfit

, ,

23 Responses to The Only Predictable Thing is Change

1. Pleinguy January 16, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

Sounds like you have a solid plan for all the possibilities. Being conservative on the Casita purchase date is good. But, you should be looking in advance because used ones in good condition may be difficult to find. I’m somewhat in the same position with housing and timing the RV purchase. As long as you are moving forward with your plan all is good.
    Pleinguy recently posted..Projects UnderwayMy Profile

• Becky January 16, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

I have been keeping an eye out. So far I’ve found two within reasonable distance at the right price range with the options I wanted most. One was back in October before I had the brake controller installed, the other was just a couple weeks ago. So yeah, they exist but aren’t exactly common. That’s why I put July as a tentative search date even though I won’t be out of the expensive apartment until September. I’ll be giving myself a couple months of buffer at least, and plan to keep poking around occasionally as I have been in case the perfect deal falls from the sky. Unlikely, but hey, it could happen. 😛

There are just so many factors to consider, aren’t there? Oh well, it’ll be worth it in the end. 🙂

2. The Good Luck Duck January 16, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

I admire and applaud your decision to honor yourself enough to leave the bad job. It’s not conventional wisdom, but these are unconventional times and ours is an unconventional life.

The Good Luck Duck recently posted..Hello Madre, hello Padre, here we are at Camp Grenadre.My Profile

• Becky January 16, 2012 at 9:19 pm #

Thank you for the vote of confidence Roxanne. Some people I know don’t get it and think I’m making a big mistake. All I can do is smile and tell them that it’s okay, I’ll figure it out. They may or may not believe me, but that’s not my problem.

3. Kathy January 17, 2012 at 1:58 am #

Becky, while the old adage is “Never leave a job without another lined up” sometimes you have to do what keeps you sane. you are at a stage in life where now is the time to pursue your dream journey and if finding a new job helps get you there then more power to you. one teeny suggestion (hope you don’t mind): don’t mention needing time off on any applications oe letters. wait until you are offered a job and at that time mention your need for those days. saying that you have a prior commitment is all you need to say. ivecalways done that and it has never been a problem. Putting it out there too early just makes the hiring person uncomfortable before they even knows you yet. Just a thought to consider. Best of luck in the coming weeks!

• Becky January 17, 2012 at 6:37 pm #

I don’t mind at all Kathy, I’m always open to opinions and discussion. 🙂 Actually just a half-hour ago I got a call back from one of the places I applied to and am going in for an interview tomorrow, that was quick. 😛 It’s one of the ones that didn’t ask if I had prior commitments so maybe I won’t be so quick to bring it up, we’ll see how things go.

Thanks for the luck, it’s appreciated. Fortunately the temperatures for tomorrow look appropriate for the one set of interview clothes I have, haha.

• Kathy January 17, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

Hope it works out!

4. Danny H January 17, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

That takes some real guts to do what your doing, many people just do the grind and lead a miserable life. With your attitude you should be able to find a job that you enjoy. I find new jobs are always kind of nerve racking until I get everything worked out, but that will be good training for the RV life and all the new and cool stuff that will come along. Good luck with your search.

• Becky January 17, 2012 at 6:38 pm #

Thanks Danny. I feel so much better since I made the decision to leave, even though it brings up the uncertainty of how long it’ll take to find a new job.

5. Dale January 17, 2012 at 8:08 pm #

Found your blog a day or so ago and wanted to say Hi.

I’m Dale,
    I’ve been an RVer for about 5 ish years now, though I do keep a small shack in the North Georgia Mountains that I can visit when I want to.
    Just wanted to wish ya a bon-voyage on your dream of going full time, and say happy adventures.

• Becky January 17, 2012 at 10:43 pm #

Welcome to IO Dale, and thanks. 🙂 Might I ask what you RV in?

6. Dale January 17, 2012 at 11:59 pm #

Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to reading more about your quest.

My rig is nothing fancy, I have a 26 foot Sunlite Travel Trailer (The Oyster Can) that I bought used about 6 years ago. Its about 11 years old now, and has had plenty of mending & remodeling. I tow it with an older 1/2 ton Dodge pickup truck (The Mule)
    Its fully self-contained with plenty of batteries and toys to get me around the boonies without power.
    Though I’ve boondocked in some interesting places, I find that love state parks, county parks and national parks, so I often find that I have some kind of power hook up.
    I have a wee scooter & bicycle for just running amok when the rig is parked. and a 2 person Kayak for water adventres. I hope to upgrade someday to a larger tow vehicle and a vintage airstream (that I’ll turn into a SteamPunk themed one.) or a sailboat.

• Becky January 18, 2012 at 6:34 pm #

If you’ve been reading then you already know that I’ll be full-timing in a travel trailer like you. My pickup is a Dodge too but a 8 cylinder Dakota, it should work well for 17′ of trailer. I’m also interested in boondocking and will be investing in a solar set up, but that probably won’t be for a while given the cost.

I’ve always been a fan of camping in natural settings and thus state/county/national parks interest me as well. I live close to Hunting Island state park here in SC and go there frequently, I can’t wait until the day I can stay there in my RV. 🙂 I definitely plan to do more hiking and jogging on the road. I’ve only gone kayaking a couple times but enjoyed it. Good luck on your adventures and upgrading.

7. Dale January 18, 2012 at 12:47 am #

Oh and your work story here reminded me of a song that I was playing alot while I was seeking to escape the cubicle.

It was a song by the Boat Drunks called Callin’ in Gone.
    So I have a question, that is along the lines of your quest here:

What is on your ‘Drive off into the Sunset’ Playlist?

• Becky January 18, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

Ahh, love that sort of music, and that was one I hadn’t heard of before, awesome.

I have a whole CD of songs my roommate made for me with traveling inspired music, sadly they aren’t labeled so I don’t know the names and titles for all of them, I’m going to find out though and I’ll get back to you. In the meantime, here are a few in no particular order:

Dixie Chicks – “The Long Way Around”
      Sugarland – “It Happens”
      Death Cab for Cutie – “You Are A Tourist”
      Rodney Atkins – “Take A Back Road”
      Shakira – “Gypsy”
      Willie Nelson – “On The Road Again”
      Jason Aldean – “Johnny Cash”

8. Dale January 18, 2012 at 11:23 pm #

Yay, thanks for sharing, and looking forward to hearing more of your tunes to drive your soul by (or your truck) :).
    I need to get back to South Carolina this Spring or Summer.
    Its been awhile.
    You will love your little trailer. I’ve seen some of those huge rigs turned away from small campgrounds in my travels.
    I wouldn’t have a rig bigger than mine. 25-26 footers and smaller can fit in so many great beauty spots. I find I have just the room I need (Though I did need to do some remodeling to get it the way I needed it) and wouldn’t mind a newer truck, but hate debt with a passion.

• Becky January 19, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

Still haven’t had a chance to check the rest of them yet, but I will. How old is your truck? At 92k miles my ’01 Dakota isn’t exactly new either, but she still has a few years left in her and by that point my situation may have changed dramatically. 😛

9. Dale January 19, 2012 at 9:47 am #

Oh and here are some Web sites you might enjoy. (great site for RVers of the not-so geriatric variety) (a cool single female RVer I met on the road awhile back)

10. Becky January 19, 2012 at 5:22 pm #

Yep, I peek at both of these on occasion. 🙂 I keep pondering when to introduce myself on NuRVers, and decided at some point I’d wait until I actually had my RV.

I love the way airstreams look too and have to admit I’m a bit jealous of Sharon’s Safari. I don’t have that kind of money though, and the little Casita should work just fine for my purposes. 🙂 Like you I abhor debt of any sort, including loans.

11. Dale January 19, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

The Mule (my truck) defies the laws of physics, it is a 1989 Dodge Ram 4×4 with a 5.9 V8 in it, It does have a new transmission in it that I was able to horse trade for last spring, but other than that it has around 200000+ on it. The Mule is still running fine, but would love a better one.

• Becky January 19, 2012 at 8:58 pm #

Wow! That’s quite impressive for a gas truck (at least I think it is, I’m still learning when it comes to tow vehicles :P). My Dakota is a 4.7 V8.

12. Ross Macintosh January 30, 2012 at 6:31 am #

Hi Becky

How was the last day of work?

Regards, Ross
    Prince Edward Island, Canada

• Becky January 30, 2012 at 5:34 pm #

Hiya Ross. It was good! It was such a relief leaving the place for the last time.

After getting home on Friday I went over to a friend’s house with my roommate and we had a bit of a party until 2 a.m. Got up the next morning (or later that morning depending on how you look at it) and loaded up her car and went camping. Just got back a couple hours ago, had a blast of course.