Favorite Places

Ugh, and having held out for so long against the steady barrage of colds that I’ve been exposed to this season, I have finally fallen sick. There will be no long and thought provoking piece for your reading pleasure today I’m afraid, but I couldn’t just leave you guys hanging in the wind, so how about this:

Four places I’ve traveled to in the U.S. That I really like (in no particular order):

Glacier National Park (Montana/Canada)

My family took a road trip out West when I was 15, and this was one of our destinations. Even back then I was impressed by the view on Going to the Sun road. This was also the first and last time I did a horse riding tour, more expensive and restricting than I would pay for myself now, but the countryside the trail went through was so beautiful.

Smoky Mountains National Park (Tennessee)

I finally got to go here this past September for a quick weekend of camping (this is where the picture in the post is from). There was a lot of hiking around to be done in my new fancy shoes, and yes, I got to see a black bear. Once I have my RV, I definitely plan to come back for a longer stay.

Badlands (South Dakota)

Another stop on our out West trip. I was definitely a tomboy when I was younger and loved getting to search around for fossils.

Clear Lake (near Minocqua, WI)

The state park and campground where my parents took me tent camping when I was growing up. The lake is aptly named, you could see the bottom up to 30 feet deep. Not a great place for fishing, but a lot of fun for snorkeling.

And now I’m going to make good use of the first sick day I’ve taken in over three years and get some rest. Whether you’re RVing yet or not, do you have a favorite place or destination you’d like to share?

, ,

13 Responses to Favorite Places

1. Isherwood Wildwalker January 12, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

rest up, and drink some ginger tea.

The ugly sick has been going around this year.

• Becky January 13, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

Never much liked the taste of tea, but with a bunch of honey it’s alright. Never had ginger though I don’t think. Slept a bunch and feeling better today at least.

2. jim January 13, 2012 at 5:55 am #

The Badlands on a moon light evening is what I think being on the moon would be like. The landscape is so lunar and the stars, I could lay on a picnic table and watch the Milky Way as if it were a television screen, absolutely stunning. Also try to visit Yosemite in a full moon, the valley’s shadows are also beautiful.

• spotted_pony January 13, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

The badlands in general at sunrise or sunset really set off the striated color of the landscape. You can also get a great show with a storm front moving in. The first time I was out there it was a beautiful clear evening/sunset, the second time was early morning with a lightning storm moving in.

• Becky January 13, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

I’m something of a night owl myself and love taking walks after dark, it’s such a different experience. 🙂

3. Marvin January 13, 2012 at 9:56 am #

Rest and Green Tea with Lemon always helps .
    Your employer is lucky to have you – they will definitely miss you when you full time !
    Hope you get better soon !

• Becky January 13, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

My supervisor and co-workers already miss me. The guy who owns the company is the clueless one. Oh well, his loss. 😛

Thanks Marvin, I’m feeling better today. More coughing but it’s better than that sore throat was.

4. Todd January 13, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

Hope you’re feeling better

• Becky January 13, 2012 at 7:21 pm #

Thanks! I am. 🙂 Which is good because I kinda gave my job my 2.5 week notice on Tuesday and I really need to get cracking on finding a new job, haha.

5. Brian January 13, 2012 at 5:22 pm #

Get well soon. I had the chills and fever about 2 weeks ago.
    I really enjoy Colorado’s Great Sand Dunes National Park during the months of May and June. Wading in Medano creek looking at the sand dunes, mountains with snow on top, and the deep blue sky is great.

• Becky January 13, 2012 at 7:23 pm #

I didn’t even know there were sand dunes in Colorado. You learn something new every day. Sounds like some place I would like to visit. It’s possible part of my motivation for posting this was to get more ideas for once I’m full-timing. 😉

If my cold included a fever I’ll never know. Our thermometer is sort of MIA right now.

6. Nancy January 13, 2012 at 10:24 pm #

Sorry to hear you’re not feeling well. Loads of Vitamin C-if I feel a cold coming on I dump about 3 large doses down my throat and somehow the cold never gets hold. I didn’t believe it until I tried it. Feel better soon.

Oh, so many favorite places–to many to name.
    Chama NM area
    San Juans in Colorado
    Idaho–north central and north–incredible
    Oregon Coast
    Astoria and the Columbia River Gorge
    Been all over Montana
    Washington-Leavenworth, Wenatchie Region
    Seattle – Water
    Angel Fire NM

Vancover Island
    That’s the tip of the ice berg. Gives me more to think about, tonight.
    Nancy recently posted..WoesMy Profile

• Becky January 15, 2012 at 12:28 am #

Thanks Nancy, I am feeling better today, and now I have the weekend for some serious resting up. I’m with you on the Vitamin C. I think. I mean, I’ve heard that too so I try to drink orange juice when I catch a cold. Again can’t really say how effective it is, but it can’t hurt, right?

You have a lot of favorite places 🙂 I think the one that surprises me most on that list is Idaho. I guess I never really thought of Idaho as being scenic, I guess I was wrong.

I hope your back has been okay? Well from your latest post it looks like Jack has been pretty content. Take care and have a good Sunday.