Sometimes, I struggle to do things that seem so easy to others, and I feel frustrated.

Sometimes, I look at what everyone else has and I don’t, and I feel jealous.

Sometimes, I think of how much time I waste trying to put it all together, and I feel angry.

Sometimes, I worry that my plans will never work, and I feel anxious.

Sometimes, it feels like nothing ever goes my way, and it seems so unfair.

But then I come back to my senses, and it hits me that in a year or two I’m going to be living my dream of RVing full-time. I realize just how fortunate I am to have this opportunity.ย  When times seem tough, I remind myself to be grateful for all of the things that have gone right in my life, and they far outnumber the things that haven’t.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone.

10 Responses to Sometimes

1. rvsue November 24, 2011 at 11:10 am #

Hello, Becky!

I just discovered your blog. I’m impressed with the way you think “outside the box.” You have an intelligent mind and an independent spirit. I’m also impressed with your choice of a home on wheels . .. a Casita!

I bought a 17 foot Casita LD in August and I’ve been living in it and loving it ever since. If you haven’t seen my blog, please take a look. Even though I’m at a different point in my life (in my sixties and retired), I hope that my experiences will be helpful to you.

I am putting your blog on my list of favorites. Good luck on the adventure called life!

• Becky November 24, 2011 at 11:22 pm #

Hello Sue. I’m peeking at your blog now, lots of helpful and interesting stuff on here, thanks! The Liberty Deluxe seems to be the rarest of the three Casita floorplans, I take it your pleased with the layout? I decided on the Spirit because it seemed to have the most storage, and it would allow me to keep both a bed and a dinette up all the time. Looking forward to following along with your adventures as well. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. ntexas99 November 24, 2011 at 1:14 pm #

Happy Thanksgiving, Becky. I am so encouraged to see someone in your age bracket making a defined choice to seize the opportunity to shake things up and make your own plan for what the next many years of your life will look like, rather than simply following the norm. It must be exciting to know that in a year or two your life will take on an entirely different flavor. Awesome!

I’m over 50, and still come from the mentality that I have to give myself permission to even consider such a drastic change, when the truth is that anyone can do this if they only have the courage and planning ability to make it happen. For me, the only real question that should be asked is whether or not your current plan is adding value to your life. If not, then it’s time to make a change. Simple enough, right?

Hope you have an enjoyable holiday, content in the knowledge that every day is taking you one step closer to your new reality, and that truly IS something to be thankful for. ๐Ÿ™‚
    ntexas99 recently posted..the authentic truthMy Profile

• Becky November 24, 2011 at 11:56 pm #

Hello Nancy. Giving yourself permission is something I struggled with for a while as well. It’s been four years now since I graduated college and got a ‘real’ job. For most of those four years I was thinking ‘there must be something better’, and while I’d occasionally read or hear about people doing amazing things I just thought โ€œWell, they’re obviously smarter, more driven, or luckier than me, I could never do something like that.โ€ My parents are wonderful people, but they drilled it into my head to get good grades in high school, go to college, graduate, then get a good job (and hopefully start a family). I’d made it to the get a good job part, and I just wasn’t enjoying it. At all. It took permission from myself to start looking at other options, and then again to actually take them seriously.

Your plan of making changes to anything that isn’t adding value to your life sounds like a great one to me. I truly believe that we are not bound to the current circumstances we find ourselves in despite our tendency to just settle for what we have now as being ‘good enough’ or ‘as much as I can expect’. Anyone can make drastic improvements to their life โ€“ but I’ll say that while courage and the ability to plan are very important, a lot of hard work is also required. Having folks to share the journey with is definitely helping me in this regard.

I did have an enjoyable Thanksgiving by the way โ€“ spent it with friends, even had a campfire. I hope yours was good too. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Sam November 25, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

We feed our bodies two or three times a day. Yesterday I think I spent the whole day practically grazing, I’ve finally emerged from my tryptophan induced coma and would like to leave a suggestion on how to minimize those episodes of “Sometmes”

We all are subject to living lives of quiet desperation causing a REACTION on our part. Far more important is how we ACT and how we act is determined by what we THINK and BELIEVE. โ€œWhatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.โ€ โ€• Napoleon Hill, Think and Grow Rich.

So, it’s as necessary to feed our minds as often as our bodies. A word of caution, though. Remember the old computer adage, ‘GI-GO’… garbage in – garbage out. There are volumes of self-help motivational books available on the market. Some are excellent and some, not so good. Yet, any nugget gleaned is a plus. Many authors write specifically to their readers who work in professions with similar motivations and subsequently define success in materialistic terms One well known author is Zig Ziglar. Then there are authors who define success in existential terms. Og Mandino is my favorite, In just 108 pages, his venerable Ragpicker in The Greatest Miracle in the World befriended me in my time of great need.. While I can relate to the former, I have a profound fondness for the latter. Two different styles of different men from different walks of life arrive at the same conclusion simply because they learned and employed the same ‘power of the mind’ principles.

No matter your present station life, regardless of your challenges, current priorities or the lack thereof, the secret to your success and happiness isn’t a nebulous concept which can only be revealed by some robed guru living atop Mount Olympus. It can be found at your local library if you prefer ‘pick-up’ or for those who like ‘delivery’. Bon Appรฉtit

• Becky November 25, 2011 at 9:57 pm #

Thank you for the reading recommendations. I’m a pretty big fan of libraries, so that is where I’ll look for them โ€“ it’s cheaper that way. ๐Ÿ˜›

This past year I’ve improved in the art of acting instead of just reacting. For me a lot of it seems to come down to attitude. I’m working on cultivating a positive attitude regardless of what life throws my way. When I’m thinking negatively I frequently find myself complaining, procrastinating, blaming others and being idle. I let things happen to me and whine about it, instead of acting to make things better. A big part of the frustration in my life comes from my job โ€“ I know I need to leave it eventually but in my current circumstances sticking with it for now will be the easiest and quickest way to get started full-timing.

Up until a year or so ago I felt like I was trapped with no escape. I’ve realized since then that I am not in fact ‘trapped’. Freedom and happiness seem more like a state of mind, not something others give you but something you give yourself. It’s a little hard for me to explain and a concept I am still exploring.

Anyway, as long as I am here right now I should do my best to enjoy the journey, and when things are rough keep working towards my dream. Escaping to something, instead of from something.

• ntexas99 November 25, 2011 at 11:56 pm #

“Escaping to something, instead of from something.”

That pretty much sums it all up, doesn’t it? The usual and customary way to go about it would be to look for ways to escape your circumstances, rather than looking for ways to exchange today’s circumstances for tomorrow’s opportunities.

I liked the way you put that …

“escape TO something, instead of FROM something”
        ntexas99 recently posted..Surprise, SurpriseMy Profile

4. Sherry November 27, 2011 at 11:09 am #

Becky, I am just so impressed with your wisdom at such a young age. It took me nearly 50 years to get to the place where I completely recognized what you are already in tune with.

I suspect we are all very controlled by the voices we hear both outside and inside of us saying “you are going to WHAT?”. But once you recognize those voices as fear then you can see that you are the master of your fate and can make whatever choices you want knowing that whatever happens, all you have to do is make some more choices.

In my case, it was everyone saying you can’t retire early. You have to have social security. And on and on. But you don’t. UNLESS you have to have more than what you actually need and the money to buy, buy, buy.

I’m going to enjoy following your blog VERY MUCH!

• Becky November 28, 2011 at 11:30 am #

Hello Sherry, thank you for commenting! I’m sorry that I didn’t approve your post sooner, for whatever reason it ended up in my spam box and I didn’t see it, but that’s been remedied now. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have to say, my parents still aren’t thrilled with my decision, but I think they’ve accepted that I’m going to do it whether they think it’s a good idea or not. My Mom even reads my blog (Hi Mom!) and several of my friends do as well.

You bring up a very good point about fear, I’m actually going to have a post about that in the future. Most people think that if they do something outrageous like this that their worst fears will come true, but really it’s not like that. If something starts going wrong, you alter your course and adapt to the new situation. The chances of the worst case scenario happening are really next to impossible.

I look forward to hearing from you again. I see that you’re into kayaking and nature camping, fun! I went kayaking for the first time just over a year ago in an ocean kayak along the salt water marshes down here, it was a beautiful experience and someday I might buy one for myself, but getting the RV and such should probably come first. ๐Ÿ˜‰

5. Carolyn December 23, 2011 at 10:53 am #

Just reading this post today. Words for thought. Thanks for sharing.