Monday, June 20 It’s been a quiet several days at Hartley Springs Campground, near June Lake, CA. After the excitement of Convict Lake on Wednesday I spend the weekend at camp, writing during the day and taking long walks in the evening when the sun slips below the treeline and my solar power peters out. […]
Wednesday, June 15 Last Friday when I was driving out to my latest camp near June Lake, CA, I passed the sign for Convict Lake and belatedly remembered that several blog readers had recommended the place. “Oh!” I exclaim as Bertha and Cas wiz on past. I’ll have to go back and check it out. […]
Saturday, June 11 I part the slats of my blinds and peer out at the new day. The pine trees stand in ranks like dark sentinels under a gray sky. Well, won’t be getting much in the way of solar power today so that nixes staying home and working on the computer. As it’s not […]
Wednesday, June 8 (cont’d) After the fun day at Rock Creek, I come home to the most unique sunset I’ve ever experienced. As last light hits the White mountains, a band of clouds overhead turn soft white, like a beacon. The band extends from north to south. The white fades with the sun and I […]
Wednesday, June 8 The day is already heating up as I exit 395 at Toms Place, CA onto Rock Creek Road. A sign looms ahead on the right: Rock Creek Recreation Area, Inyo National Forest. There are several NF campgrounds along this road, but I don’t stop at any of them. Local Knowledge says they’re […]
Having now acquired a good amount of experience while RVing with both working in a fixed location, and working remotely, it feels like a good time to give a rundown on both types and the positives and negatives of each. First an explanation of terms, as not everyone may know what work-camping is, and definitions […]
Thursday, June 2 Southern California is in the grip of a heat wave. The past two nights I’ve gone to bed in shorts with all windows open and still felt warm, not to mention what the days have been like. Record high temperatures are expected this weekend. That settles it, time to go. Heat like […]
Saturday, May 28 The Alabama Hills is a superb boondocking location. Private, large spots set in a sprawling wonderland of sculpted boulders, majestic mountain vistas to the west and east, a nearby town for supplies and several points of interest worth visiting, and nearly endless hiking and exploring opportunities. In the mornings, I put on […]
Wednesday, May 25 I’m a typing fiend in the morning, catching up on comments and e-mails bright and early before leaving for my next camp, which by all accounts has very marginal phone reception not suitable for getting online. By 10 I’m finally hitched up and rolling down the washboard road out of Sawtooth Canyon […]
Are you wondering where to find good boondocks? What you should do to prepare before arriving? How to stretch your resources for a longer stay? How to stay safe out in the boonies? Well this is the article for you. I’ve written about most of these subjects before, but the individual posts eventually fall off […]
Monday, May 16 (continued) I had mixed emotions about coming back to Sawtooth Canyon Campground. When I started boondocking in January, I’d decided somewhat arbitrarily that I didn’t want to visit the same camp twice in the same year. There are so many great places to see, and to me one of the points of […]
Friday, May 13 After dry camping in parking lots in the town of Gilroy for three uneventful days, sandwiched between mountain ranges where the weather is more reasonable, I finally get word from the rescue on where Jessica needs to go. East of LA. Back south into the desert. It throws a wrench into my […]
Live Deliberately, and Go RVing
About This Site:
Life's too short not to spend it doing something you love. I write for those who want to go full-time RVing pre-retirement, and for anyone who dares to dream of a more fulfilling life.
Liking what you see?
Or, if online shopping isn't your thing, you can now donate using Paypal (no account required, just a valid credit or debit card)
- Going On A Trip (Game) August 6, 2015
- Leaks and Delays December 30, 2015
- What About Retirement? May 1, 2015
- Upheaval April 26, 2016
- Boondocking Answers May 24, 2016
- Full-time RVing Won’t Change Who You Are December 10, 2014
- Heat and Battery Woes October 12, 2015
- Age and Beauty (and Wisdom) February 21, 2014
- Mono Lake and an Announcement June 23, 2016
- Convict Lake June 20, 2016
- June Lake Loop June 16, 2016
- Mammoth Lakes Campgrounds June 13, 2016
- Rock Creek Canyon June 10, 2016
- Comparing Work Options for RVers June 7, 2016
- Crowley Lake and McGee Campgrounds June 3, 2016
- Whitney Portal Road Campgrounds May 31, 2016
- Becky: Will do, thanks....
- Becky: Heya Deb and Greg! I really enjoyed volunteerin...
- Norm H.: Sorry to hear that yet another fire has started, b...
- Debbie: Hi Becky, Wondering how it went for you at Ordw...
- Becky: Hello Larry, Welcome to IO and I'm glad you'r...
- Becky: Thanks Sylvia, I hope your son gets a lot of use o...
- Becky: You're welcome Kent, thanks for reading and for t...
- Becky: Thanks Norm. I've already gone up Tioga Road, bu...